- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Friday, June 12, 2009

Did that happen?

Wednesday night I received the most bizarre phone call from my Mom. It was late. I was still at work. She responded with her normal surprise - Mom, I don't know when you're going to stop with the surprise after 4 straight weeks these hours I'm pulling. Then she launched into the reason for her late call...

Apparently it was a rough night in Coppell, Texas. A summer storm with lightning, thunder, torrential rain, 80 mph winds. And these winds were allegedly strong enough to blow the chimney right off my parent's house. Yep, gone. Leaving quite the hole in the roof. In the middle of said torrential downpour. I'm picturing, gaping hole in roof, tons of rain, water dripping into my parent's closet. Yikes.

As if this scenario weren't bad enough, and semi-unbelievable, it gets better. While investigating the water damage situation from the attic mid-storm, Dad manages to slip and fall straight through the attic floor. GASP! Mom then explains that it didn't literally FALL through the ceiling onto the floor, just fell through the ceiling with his entire leg. WHAT?!?!!? Yes, this is my father who just had back surgery. Falling. Through. The. Ceiling.

So not only is there a chimney and roof to repair and water-soaked ceiling sheet rock to replace, there is now this damage to Leslee's (and my) bathroom --




Photography courtesy of Les with emails titled "Bathroom" and "And Again." While these events may not have been funny at the time, I'm sitting at my desk laughing uncontrollably with Mom. Not because it's 'funny haha' but, well, out of sheer disbelief. How does this happen?! My Dad slipped and fell through the attic floor. In the middle of a thunderstorm. After the chimney had already blown straight off the roof.

Yep. You just can't make this stuff up. So if you live in the Dallas area and know a good roof / ceiling / sheet rock repairman, I know a house that could use his assistance!

*Luckily no one was harmed in this eventful evening. With the exception of the ceiling of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment