- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Wednesday, February 22, 2012

painting project {the yellow one}

This is my antique dresser.

The very dresser that my Grandad helped fix up for my room in college. I painted it guacamole green when I took it to my apartment in austin. Yeah, that's right. I had a light pink and green room. I'm so cute.


It has been living in my room at my parents house for the past 5.5 years. And I decided for my first big girl apartment in Dallas, it was definitely coming with me. 

But first, it needed a lil makeover.






A bright yellow makeover in fact!



The week before I was set to move out, I came home from work and announced that I decided on yellow for my dresser. And I would be making a trip to Home Depot in search of the perfect yellow.

"Yellow?" Mom asked. 
"Yes. bright yellow. It's going to be great."
"I see..." She was skeptical.


After living with Miss Hannah Kate at 9A, I had learned a thing or two about committing to the color. And let's be honest, this dresser was guacamole green before. Safe to say I have no fear of color.


Hannah also taught me about Behr Premium Plus paint and primer in one. She swears by it. Therefore, it didn't take me long to settle on this perfect shade of golden yellow. 


And the best part? No primer necessary. I just sanded down the edges a bit. And then got to work!


It did end up taking 2 coats to fully cover up that guacamole green. But between me and mom, we were done in a quick day.



I tested a dozen different versions of hardware. Because while I was quite decisive on the yellow I wanted, I was less decisive on the type of hardware that would give it the perfect finishing touch. 


There was also the fact that this dresser is very old. And all hardware would have to be custom cut to fit the width of the drawers. 
Small things though. Mom knows people at the hardware store. Clutch.
Just a quick trip to the local ACE for some sawing of screws and then I was good to go.


 What do you think? I totally love it.
And I think Hannah Kate would be very proud.






5 comments:

  1. omg i'm so impressed! looks great! yes, i think hannah will be quite proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!! Do you follow the Young House Love blog?? (www.younghouselove.com)They do these kinds of DIY things all the time and they would totally pick a bright color also.

    If you ever feel the need to paint more furniture, I'm sure I have some I could volunteer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks liz! i don't follow Young House Love...but i do now! how cute are they?!

      and should you ever decide to take on a painting project, i'm totally in! :)

      Delete
  3. Cute! All of our dressers have Hannah to thank for their recent makeovers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad I discovered oyur blog, it is so fun and your projects are impressive! I myself love to revamp furniture and am currently repainting all the walls in my house. Try a paint sprayer on some furniture, it is easy and adds a nice different effect to the look of the paint.

    ReplyDelete