- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Friday, March 23, 2012

painting project {the navy one}

Next up on my list-o-projects - a bookshelf refresh!

I stole this lil bookshelf from my parent's garage when I moved. I think it came from my Grandad's house, I'm not sure. But I do know it's just been hanging out in their garage for years and I could certainly put it to much better use!



I love that this shelf has really great shape. And maybe just a bit neglected. But tons of potential. Nothing a lil sanding and a fresh coat of paint couldn't fix!


I had a painting weekend with mom on the first nice weekend in February. We had all the windows and doors open to a sunshiney day and got to work right there in my apartment. Who needs a garage when you have a few pieces of wood for keeping paint off the floors and lots of newspapers? 

I decided on a dark navy blue for this piece. Semi-gloss this time around. 
However, after this first coat, it was not looking very dark navy at all. It was more robins egg blue. And I was quite skeptical.


So I decided to let it dry. Give it another coat. And cross my fingers that it got darker. 
If not? Well then I was prepared for another trip to home depot to get the color just right. I wanted navy!



Lucky for me, two coats of paint and a little time was all it needed to dry and darken.


I ended up being really happy with the color. And with the glossy finish.


I did have to let it dry for a few days before I could put anything on it though. Something about that semi-gloss finish made it pretty sticky. 


But once I moved it back into my room, I was totally in love with the way it turned out. The perfect shade of navy and the perfect size between these two doors.


Painting project #2, check! 
What do you think?! I think I'm starting to get really good at this game. 


Can't wait to share my next project! It has lots of character. And a good story. You know, my favorite kind of project!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment