- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Thursday, July 23, 2009

For Such a Time as This?

This summer I'm doing Beth Moore's Esther Bible Study with a group of girl friends - some new, some old. I've studied Esther before, but Beth brings a whole new Texas-sized dimension to the book. She's intense. And insightful. And pulls out the most real life application nuggets from the Old Testament in ways that I just can't do on my own.

What I'm really loving, is that this study is with a group of girls that I haven't been in Bible study with before. I find myself looking forward to Monday nights because I can't wait to hear their thoughts on the lessons. Each week these women continue to surprise, challenge and encourage me in my faith and I'm so very thankful to have each of them in my life!

This week we discussed the infamously convicting words of Mordecai to Esther -

"And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?" Esther 4:14

These words are a humbling reminder to me that God is in absolute control in my life. Just as He placed Esther in a position to provide deliverance at the exact moment the Jewish people needed nothing short of a miracle, He has also has placed me at this exact point in my life - for such a time as this. Every aspect of my life, He has planned. Specially for me.

I am 25 years old. I live in New York. I spend each day working really hard at a job that tends to drag me down. I am single. I question my life decisions regularly. I question my future constantly. I get anxious, I always want to know what's next. I want to know that I've accomplished all that I needed to in New York before I leave the city. I want to know that there is a reason for my being here and that He is able to use me for His purpose.

So here I am. Living in New York, working this exact job, surrounded by these very people...for such a time as this. How incredible is that?

As my new friend Danielle so eloquently phrased it this week -
"You know, sometimes it's just about the journey."

It's refreshing to remember that even though I may not see His purpose right now, sometimes it's simply the journey that makes the difference. That maybe this journey is one I needed to take so that years from now I will recognize His greater plan the way that Esther did. So that when everything miraculously falls into place, I'll know.

And so when I find myself wondering what exactly it is that I'm doing here - so far from the comfort of home, at this job, with these people, in New York...who knows? Perhaps it is for such a time as this.

"Even now declares the Lord, "return to me with all your heart"...He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity."
Joel 2:12-13

2 comments:

  1. i love our study. so sad i wasn't there on monday. thanks for this post. here i am sitting at my desk at work crying. its a good thing i'm the only one here. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete