- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Friday, July 10, 2009

Social Events Calendar? You know, mixers, clam bakes, trips to the Cape...

So I'm alive! I promise! I've just been running around with visitors for the past few weeks and haven't even turned on my computer in...well, I don't know how long!

First thing's first, Mom came to visit! On my birthday weekend! We had quite the whirlwind weekend adventure.

We spent all day Friday walking around the city. In the humidity, ugh. I warned Mom that 90% humidity = misery. I think she now gets it, hah! Regardless of the clouds and muggy weather, we had a lovely NYC day. We visited the just-opened High Line park in Chelsea, did some shopping and saw 9 to 5 on Broadway. Which, by the way, was everything I love about Broadway Musicals - fun story, great music, slightly cheesy and a happy ending. I highly recommend!



And on Saturday, we hopped on a Metro North train to Mt. Vernon, rented ourselves a lil red Ford Focus and road tripped it up to Cape Cod for the weekend! Luckily the sun made a rare appearance and the 4 hour drive didn't feel like 4 hours at all. Before we knew it, we were driving down Main Street in the cute little town of Hyannis.

My cousin is playing baseball with the Hyannis Mets this summer. (He's an OU Sooner in real life, ew) No matter his choice in college, I think it's pretty cool that he's playing in the Cape this summer. I just couldn't pass up the chance to watch him play! They ended up beating Falmouth in extra innings Saturday night, yay Casey!

Ok, so I also must point out that my Mom is notorious for finding the best deals on what she calls "cute" hotels for our northeast trips. We always end up staying somewhere family-run like the Skytop Inn, or this weekend it was Midway Motel & Cottages. While I'll admit that the Midway Motel was incredibly cute and charming, it did not however have central AC. Ironically enough, this was my one request of the weekend - a hotel with AC that's not a window unit. When we pulled up to our cottage, we saw the open windows and immediately burst out laughing. "oh, you're going to kill me, aren't you?"

In a brilliant move to turn this situation back to her favor, Mom chose this point to give me my 25th birthday pressie. She and Daddy surprised me with an Elsa Peretti "l" necklace from Tiffany! I may have been so surprised to see a lil turquoise box and white bow that I cried. Fine, we'll forget about the AC situation. I'm such a brat.

:)

And just few fun things I learned about the Cape....

-- It is quite big! We practically drove the entire stretch from Falmouth to Eastham (which takes at least a full hour). Anyone who tells you the towns are all close together, lies.

-- Everything closes early. Apparently I have been spoiled by the City That Never Sleeps. Clearly unreasonable expectations for trying to find somewhere to eat dinner at 10pm.

-- Locals are INCREDIBLY chatty, particularly about irrelevant things. They were all very nice, but really, we don't care where your house is in relation to this baseball field. We just want to know how to get back to the main road. kthanks!

-- A Beach wedding - While absolutely lovely, I won't be having one. I am too much of a control freak. Less than perfect weather would ruin my day. At least I know this about myself.

-- Chatham. I am in love with Chatham. Main Street shops, charming summer homes, beaches, a light house, boats, ice cream, baseball. It's the kind of town that you want to explore by riding through the streets on a bicycle. Love at first sight.


And if all this wasn't enough, then there was the Wedding! Katie and Jonathan, who both taught at Coppell High School with my Mom, got married on the beach on Sunday night. I didn't know them personally, but I was still really really excited to attend a beachy wedding. And it was ohsoverylovely. Sure, the afternoon was cloudy, and it was chilly and windy on the water, and the humidity was kinda outta control. But there was no rain! So that equals success! And Katie was a gorgeous bride. And everything was just wonderful. (ok, minus the freezing on the beach during the ceremony part)

Exhibit A: 65 degrees, cloudy and 90% humidity = curly hair nightmare for me and Mom both!

But just look how pretty and happy they are! And of course they will live happily ever after.


And then it was Monday.

It was raining the morning we had to leave Cape Cod. Lil sad that the weather didn't much cooperate during our visit, still a bit chilly in bare legs, but mostly charmed by the quaint simplicity of the Cape -- we made promises to return soon and headed our lil red car right back to New York. (Not without a Target pit stop on the way back though! As if there were any chance I'd miss hitting up a Target...)

And on Tuesday morning when I finally sent Mom on her way to LGA after one last coffee + blueberry scone trip to Starbucks, I can honestly say that I had absolutely no desire to get back to my real life. And definitely zero desire to return to my kind of daily normalcy.

And for the first time in Mom's many visits to the City over the past few years, this time I really didn't want her to leave at all!




No comments:

Post a Comment