- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Weekend Must List

I am a list-maker.

I know, I know, but I can't help it. I physically must write things down so that I a) don't forget to do whatever it is on my list and b) feel like I have some kind of plan to get it done. I know it might sound nuts, but I am the Queen of Procrastination, so lists are life savers. And I really can't help it.

After a few crazy-busy (read: borderline insane) work weeks, this weekend my to-do list was filled with things that really had to get done. Out of necessity and out of the need to regain a bit of control in my life. Either I knock some things off this list, or I just won't be able to go on another day! Dramatic? Never.

I must put these (late) graduation cards in the mail.
Seriously, does that fact that I have to make myself drop a few cards in the mail give any indication of how busy life has been lately?


I must get to the gym. It misses me. And because exercise releases endorphins. And endorphins make you happy. (And I'm a workout-aholic so I need the gym like smokers need cigarettes)

I must get a pedicure. My feet are a disaster. And it's sandal season. So neglecting my feet has become unacceptable. (Ehh, let's throw in a manicure too while I'm there)

I must update my music. There are so many great new summer tunes out and my "Lately" playlist is getting just a bit outdated.

I must get my hair cut and highlighted. I cannot stand this curly frizzy messy disaster with 3-inch roots for one more day. Simon to the rescue! (Sorry Steph, you know how I hate to cheat on you! But I have no idea when I'll be back in Dallas...)

I must run errands. I'm out of the essentials. You know, deodorant, toothpaste, hair spray, shower gel....little things, but little things that I simply cannot live without.

I must spend some quality time with my DVR. I'm sure that the So You Think You Can Dance Top 20 are fantastic! Can't wait!

I must eat BBQ! (alright, maybe this one isn't so much of a 'must'...) The Big Apple BBQ block party in Madison Square Park is one of my favorite weekends of the summer. Y'all, we're talking real southern BBQ right here in NYC. The smell alone is enough to make any southerner feel transported back to their hometown. Saturday was a bit rainy, but rain won't keep us away! The park was packed with fellow BBQ-loving New Yorkers. Good thing I made it there both days this year.
Dear Salt Lick, please bring more brisket next year so that you do not run out in 2 hours on the 1st day. Or perhaps it was just a scheme to lure me back to the park for round 2 on Sunday. Well played Salt Lick, well played.
And I'm happy to report that I can start the work week on Monday with a renewed sense of control in my life. Based on the Top 20's first performances, it's going to be a fab season of SYTYCD. I had my fill (x2) of tasty BBQ and root beer floats. AND I'm freshly blonde. With super-bouncy straight hair.

So now it MUST be a good week! :)

1 comment: