- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Disconnected

I hopped onto the subway last Saturday night to meet my friends in SoHo for dinner. Much to my surprise, my not-so-trusty iPhone battery, which I assure you was 100% full when I left my apartment, was now 100% dead. Grrrr.

My first thoughts were....

I have to get off this train! And go back to my apartment to plug in my phone! I'm supposed to meet Susan after dinner and I have no idea what her phone number is! She'll think I bailed on her....Wait, where is Peasant again? Do I know where I'm going? And what if Bethany needs me? Oh no! What if that cute boy I met the other night texts me?! Nooooooooo!
By the time I hopped off the subway at Spring Street, I had talked myself into an iPhone-less panic. What was I going to do?!?

Luckily, I know where Peasant is. (it's delish btw) I didn't need my iPhone Google Map to find it. And I was only a few minutes late, so Andrea wasn't calling to check on me. And once I sat down to dinner and started chatting with my old friends, I completely forgot that my phone wasn't charged and no one could get a hold of me.

A whole night of no texts, no emails, no tweets, no checking the time, no contact with anyone except the people I was with. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that it felt....unnatural.

When I got home at the end of the night, plugged my phone in, responded to the texts I'd received and confirmed that nothing life-changing had happened during my night-night-of-no-connection, I felt immediately better.

File this under: ridiculous things that I can't help.

1 comment:

  1. "And what if Bethany needs me? Oh no! What if that cute boy I met the other night texts me?! Nooooooooo!"

    hahaha! but let's be honest.... both are very valid concerns.

    ReplyDelete