- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Friday, February 26, 2010

Love / Hate

Dear New York,

You are impossible. I hate when my umbrella breaks. But today, oh today, not only did my pretty purple umbrella flip inside out in the wind, but it also snapped in half. That's right. Metal handle. Snapped in half. So that's fun. I hate buying new umbrellas. They never last. I've tried cheap ones, expensive ones, and my personal favorite, the $11 Duane Reade one. Here's the thing New York, umbrellas. always. break. And rain is impossible. Impossible to stay dry, impossible to have presentable hair, impossible to wear good shoes. Ick.

I hate trying to carry groceries home with an umbrella. An umbrella, my purse, my gym bag, my coat AND 3 bags of groceries. But you know what, groceries are necessary. Because if I have to keep ordering in, I'm going to gain 20 lbs and be even more poor than I am now. And then I'll be even angrier.

I hate getting stuck in the rain and not being able to find a cab. Because it always happens that way. I hate wearing layers of warm clothes and a puffy coat to stay warm, trudging to the subway, squeezing into a crowded train and then sweating because of all the layers. I mean, why even try to look good? I despise being late. And it seems like I'm perpetually late. So I hate the trains. Hate waiting on them. Hate the street traffic when I'm just trying to get to work. Or to a Broadway show. Or anywhere really. It takes too long to get anywhere.

I hate that I purchase super cute shoes that I can't live without and after one season have to take them to the shoe doctor for new soles or heels. It's annoying and frustrating. One season shoes? Really New York? Oh! And here's the thing with the shoe doctor, or the dry cleaner, or the tailor, they all seem hold my things hostage. I can never get there before they close to pick anything up. Why?

So you see New York, you are undeniably and dishearteningly impossible. Sometimes I don't even know why I put up with you. Sigh.

-----------------------------------------------

Dear New York,

You are perfect for me. You have completely won me over with your charm. You know how I love spending rainy days in bed catching up on my DVR. Or grabbing coffee and a bagel for a rainy day movie. And you know I adore those few short months of gorgeous sunshine when I can spend every weekend playing in Central Park.

I love that I can have groceries / food / treats / drinks delivered to my apartment door at any time of day. Especially when I don't feel like cooking anything. Or just really need a Diet Dr. Pepper. Seriously, a 24 hour store right beneath my apartment? How ever will I live without it?

I love that there are always so many different things to do. Or that I can choose to do nothing at all and be perfectly ok with it. Life here is busy and crazy and sometimes overwhelming. And it absolutely works for me. I love running around the city. Even though I'm usually running late.


You know what else? I am totally ok with not driving. Ever. The subway really is quite convenient, as long as I remember that it sometimes takes longer than 30 minutes to get across the island. And when it's late and I'm tired and I really want to be home quickly, it's kinda great that I can hop in a cab and let someone else drive me.


I love how in a city of 4 million people, I'm always running into someone I know. And it surprises me every time. Oh! And Broadway! Yeah, I can go see a musical or play with super talented performers on any night I want. And that's pretty fantastic. Don't even get me started on the museums and concerts and festivals. New York, you have serious character.


So I guess it's true New York, that you may not be for everyone. But the thing is, I am undeniably and wholeheartedly in love with you. Sometimes I wonder how you continue to surprise me.


5 comments:

  1. Tell us how you really feel! ha But I completely agree with all of the above statements, Love & Hate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super fun...love/hate relationships are the best!

    ReplyDelete