- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Thursday, December 29, 2011

Some Holiday Baking

I did a lil baking this holiday season. 
What can I say? I'm very domestic these days. 

I was invited to a cookie exchange party a few weeks ago - what's that? Never heard of a cookie exchange? Neither had I. Turns out, there's not much to it really. Just bake a few dozen yummy cookies and be prepared to share your recipe with the other gals!

I decided to whip up some of Miss Betsy's gingersnaps for the occasion. While I hadn't tried them before, I'm usually a big fan of all Miss Betsy's recipes. And I had special plans for these snaps.


They were super simple and quick. And I added a toffee twist! By dipping the snaps in melty chocolate, then coating in crumbled up Heath bars. I can't take full credit for that creativity - thanks for the suggestion mom!


After a few hours of baking, cooling, dipping and coating, I ended up with a Christmasy bowl filled with delightfully professional(ish) gingersnaps!

They turned out to be quite tasty treats and were a success at the Cookie Exchange. New friend and blogger Michele, wrote a cute post about the party here - complete with photos of all 12 cookies for sampling AND the milk / cocoa bar. I mean, what's a cookie party without some milk?


Here's the recipe! 

Gingersnaps by Miss Betsy

¾ cup Crisco shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
½ cup molasses

Cream together in mixer

ADD

2 ¼ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Cream some more

Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour or longer, covered. 
Roll dough into balls the size of a walnut, place on greased cookie sheet. 
Bake in preheated oven at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

For an easy chocolatey twist:
Melt semi-sweet chocolate, dip an edge of a snap, coat in Heath bar crumbles

Lay on wax paper to cool.
Makes 4 dozen.



Oh! And since we were in the baking mood, mom and I took a shot at some peppermint white chocolate fudge. It was good in theory. And it might look festive and delicious here, but looks are deceiving. Don't be fooled. This was a massive fudgey fail. Eeeek!

I suppose I'll just stick with cookies. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment