- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Sunday, October 24, 2010

is this real life?

this is so not the way i planned for this weekend to go.

i lost my iphone. or it was stolen. or maybe a lil of both?

so i cried. a lot. over a stupid phone. but it's not just any phone, it's my iphone. that i stood in line at 6am with my mom to purchase for my 24th birthday. let's just say i have an unhealthy emotional connection to an electronic device.

so in my emotional breakdown on saturday morning, i headed off to the apple store to replace my addiction. instead of to the bar to watch the longhorns game.

i ran into roommate hannah as i was leaving. she was coming in from the grocery store with treats for our afternoon of saturday football. i was planning to make southern caviar dip. then i realized the recipe for the dip was on my lost iphone. and then burst into tears again. good.

i walked into the apple store on 66th and broadway. and without crying, told the first guy i saw that i needed a new iphone. and i didn't have my old one because i lost it....


nice apple store guy: ok, no worries. have you already called at&t and turned it off?
lj: no, i mean, it's been like 10 hours, so i just came straight here.
nice apple store guy: good, then this will be quick and easy. here's a 16GB, put in your phone number and SS# and everything will switch over. whoever has your phone won't be able to use it and none of the information will update.
lj: seriously?!? that's it?? it's that easy??
nice apple store guy: (laughing) haha, yes. i just need your id.
(i pull out my texas id)
nice apple store guy: are you kidding? you're from texas? and let me guess, you're a rangers fan?
lj: oh yes. spent many summers at the ballpark with my dad. last night was a good one for us. i'm guessing you're a yankees fan?
nice apple store guy: yep. die hard yankees fan. and please don't try to tell me how much the rangers deserve it. 50 years, no playoffs, whatever...
lj: well if it makes you feel any better it was a rough night for me too. i mean, my iphone is like my life.
nice apple store guy: well your iphone is replaceable, the yankees season is not.
lj: bahahahaha, alright, i'll give you that.
nice apple store guy: i literally walked in today and told my boss i wasn't going to help anyone from texas. and here you are. my first customer of the day. and of course you're from texas.


so that was that. the nice apple store guy not only hooked me up with an iphone 4 in about 15 minutes, but he somehow managed to make me laugh. so i didn't burst into tears. good.

i also made it to the grocery store. and remembered all ingredients for my dip. however, i purchased double the velveeta cheese for queso and inconveniently forgot to double the rotel. needless to say, we had extra cheesy queso. such was my day...

i think it was around this time during the Auburn / LSU game that patrick announced how he couldn't believe texas lost today. WAIT. i'm sorry, did he just say that texas lost today?!? to iowa state? at home in austin? what is wrong with today?!?

then i plugged my new iphone into my computer to sync all my info. i was congratulating myself for backing up my phone earlier in the week...and then. error message. really? the guys at apple now tell me that my brand new iphone 4 is extremely inconveniently incompatible with my not-brand-new macbook operating system. and i will need to purchase an update to use my phone. aldkfjasdlkfjasdflj.

to top it all off. i ended the day babysitting cutie kids violet and cooper. when i left their apartment i was exhausted from the ridiculousness of the day. and it wasn't until i got to my corner at 89th and broadway, that i realized i had left my hours old iphone 4 laying on their coffee table at 83rd. yes, for the 2nd time in 24 hours i had left my phone laying on a table. really lauren?

this cannot be real life.

and now i'm off to the apple store for the 2nd time this weekend to purchase an upgrade for my macbook.

good weekend.

1 comment: