- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Wednesday, April 6, 2011

DC with the Doherty's

Visiting DC has been at the top of my "Things to do now that I live in the Northeast" list for almost 5 years now. So when Bethany's sister Stephanie and her boyfriend were in DC for a few months this spring, we decided we just HAD to go visit them.

Reasons B and Steph are the perfect first-time-to-DC buddies for me...
1) They are DC pros. Their mom grew up just outside of DC. And their grandparents had a house on the beach in Delaware. Which equals lots of summer visits to the area and lots of entertaining DC stories to share.
2) They both have the same nerdy appreciation for history as I do. I didn't feel bad making them visit the monuments with me. Even though they have seen everything about a million times.
3) They are silly and giggly and they pose for pictures with me. No one else I'd rather spend the weekend with!

The Lincoln Memorial


Sad that they are renovating the Reflection Pool and it was drained.
But you still get the idea. Think...Forest Gump.
No? Ok.
Then think MLK Jr.'s "I have a Dream" speech. Better?


Us with Mr. Lincoln. He is large.


The Vietnam Memorial Wall

This one is very very cool.

The Korean War Memorial


World War II Memorial


There's a marble sign for every state.


So naturally, we took our pictures at every state of importance.


Who says Seattle girls can't love Texas like a born and bred Texan can?
Froggies vs Longhorns. I'm outnumbered.


Washington Monument


Up close at the Washington Monument.
I couldn't resist getting a lil artistic with this one.


View of the Capitol.


Of course I was fascinated by the architecture.
So old! Surrounded by so much new! And with such character!


Pennsylvania Avenue. I hear it's famous or something.


The White House.

"Look, there's a guy on the roof...with a gun..."
Blank stares and silence from my 'friends.'
"Oh. I guess there's always someone on the roof with a gun, huh? Right."


Won't lie, I thought it'd be bigger...


Protesters. We have those in New York too.


Turns out, monument touring is quite exhausting.
And we needed a coffee break. Lucky for us, Starbucks' birthday celebration = free birthday treats with our lattes. YUM!



On Sunday Steph took us to Eastern Market. It was a gorgeous springy day.
We browsed the flea market, the shops, the neighborhood. Munched on a bag of sweet-n-spicy kettle corn popcorn. Admired the cutie houses along the blocks. And purchased handfuls of adorable note cards from the $1 card lady.





On Monday morning, we got up VERY early in the morning to take a VERY early bus back to Manhattan. Steph's travel pack of healthy snacks + treats + DDP's sure did make the VERY early bus ride a lil bit more bearable.

:)



And I leave you with these last 2 photos of me and my DC buddies.
I think they perfectly sum up our weekend. No words necessary.




Thanks for hosting Steph! Had a blast!
And cheers to more DC adventures SOON!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! I LOVED this:) Can't wait to see you soon soon!

    ReplyDelete