- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Friday, April 1, 2011

Deleted Scenes {Part 7}

Canal Street Subway Station
Swiping my Metro Card at the uptown 1 train headed home from work...

...annoyed at the turn-stall that is beeping / taunting my every swipe "Please swipe again" "Please swipe again"

Perfectly Nice and Seemingly Normal Middle-Aged Man: Whoa, whoa! Swipe slower...no? Not working? Here, use my card...
LJ: Oh thanks! I don't know what's wrong with it. It's an unlimited card. And it was fine this morning...

...once through the annoying turn-stall, small talk ensues while waiting for the train...

NMAM: I'm just tired. Headed home from class. I live with my daughter and grandson. I know they will want to talk when I get home. They'll want to know where I've been, what's going on, what I did today. Hah! Are you headed home from school?
LJ: Oh no. Home from work actually.
NMAM: Work, yeah? I thought I saw you come out of the school. I already had work, then class, now going home.
LJ: Work then class, huh? Yes, that sounds like a long day.
NMAM: So, who do you go home to? Are you married? Do you live alone? Do you have a boyfriend?

...the train arrives. And somehow the small talk continues...

LJ: Hahaha, no no, not married. And no boyfriend. I have roommates.
NMAM: So why don't you let me take you out? Maybe dinner sometime?
LJ: (nervous laughter) oh...I...um...that's so nice of you...
NMAM: Yeah, so can I get your number? Let me get to know you?
LJ: (more nervous laughter) I'm...I'm so flattered...thank you...but...well...um...I...I don't think so.
NMAM: No? Why not? Not even a reason for why I can't call you? Do you drink?
LJ: Oh, hah, um...yes...
NMAM: Ok. We'll go to a bar, get a few drinks. What do you think? We can talk. Get to know each other. Let me get your number?

(seriously nervous laughter. because I am now trapped on a subway train with this man.)

LJ: No really...thanks...but no...that's very nice of you though...
NMAM: No? There must be some reason why you don't want to get to know me. Are you sure?

(ohmygosh, he's not going to quit! am I going to have to get off this train to escape?!?)

LJ: hahaha, well...I...I just...I'm not really looking for anyone to date right now...I just...um...thank you...
NMAM: At least take my number. You can call me when you want. Ok? Sound good?

(lj! why can you not even LIE about having a boyfriend?!? this could have been SO easily avoided!!)

LJ: Um...hahaha...alright....

And then he got off the train at 14th Street.
Needless to say, I now have Edgar's phone number.

Note to self: LEARN TO LIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment