- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Monday, April 4, 2011

Ohmygosh + Top Secret

What happens when several social media addicted 20-somethings are forced to keep a very serious secret? 3 days of vague, nondescript, half-true Facebook and Twitter updates. And 1 very big top secret surprise.

I'm not very good at secrets. So when Angie (previous new yorker and current world traveler) told us she was making a lil pit stop in New York on her way to surprise her sister in Florida, it was all I could do to keep it to myself! Between me and Bethany, there was a whole lot of high pitched squealing happening...

Ohmygosh!!! Angie's coming to New York!!! To see us! And this is TOP SECRET! Eeeeee!

Of course only Angie would try to sneak home from half-way around the world.

And I do mean literally half-way around the world. Tuesday she sent me a message saying she was on her way. Please note that she did not actually arrive until THURSDAY. Please also note that the girl got on several airplanes in several foreign countries without anyone in the world knowing anything about where she was. No flight numbers, no layover information, no nothing. Just 1 message saying "on my way! see you soon!" I swear she's trying to give me a heart attack.

From Bali, to Singapore, to Shanghai, to JFK.
And then suddenly, she was here! In NYC!
YAY!

Scene:
9A. LJ's room. Angie's passed out on the bed, presumably exhausted from 48 hours of traveling around the world. I run in from work squealing in excitement and promptly jump on her.

"AHHHH! YOU'RE HERE! You're really here!"
"I am...it's weird...I kind of can't believe I'm here..."

"Me either! I mean...it's not the most practical decision you've ever made..."

"Well, probably not..."


"Did you have to bring that tan with you? I mean, is that really necessary?"
"Dude, I'm gonna need to borrow some clothes. And some shoes. I guess flip flops were a bad choice?"

"Welp. It's 35 degrees and March, so...yes. Good thing there is no shortage of clothes at 9A."


"Look at all these pretty things I bought in Bali! These bangles, a few necklaces...which do you like best? Some rings. Oh! And these belts, aren't they great?! Everything was so cheap!"
"Ummmm...."

"And look at my nails! They have flowers! Mani-pedi on the beach. $5. Awesome."

"Wait wait wait...who are you? You accessorize now? You wear belts?! You have flowers painted on your nails!"

"HAHA! So I turned into a girly girl..."

"Do I KNOW you?!?"


We spent the weekend catching up on all Angie's travels and adventures. Eating "American" food, because that's all she wanted. Staying up all night talking. Giggling and laughing at our recent silliness. Trying to stay off Twitter and Facebook so we wouldn't slip up and spoil the surprise.

Friday night we hit up Pio Pio for their infamous sangria and that delicious green sauce we love so much. Cheers!


Followed by a night-0f-karaoke at Mr. Biggs. Hells Kitchen style.



Flashback to a year ago. Good to know Ang hasn't changed much since last November. She still owns that microphone like no one else and tosses her hair like a pro while posing for pictures. Classic.
(p.s. she might kill me for posting these pics...but here on la la la lauren, we don't censor. you're welcome.)



Now she's in Florida for a bit before jetting back to Southeast Asia. But for a few short and happy days, we got to have her in New York. And it was soooo happy.


Miss her already!!


And if you're not following Angie's round-the-world adventures, you totally should. She's way more entertaining than I am. And she's quite the storyteller. You won't be disappointed. Check her out at AngieAway.com.

1 comment:

  1. SURPRISE! What a fun visit it was =) Thanks for hosting me at lovely 9A and dressing me and giving me shoes!

    ReplyDelete