- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Wednesday, August 10, 2011

It's time.

To talk about the heat.

It's been 38 days since I moved back to Texas.

And every single one of those 38 days has hit temperatures over 100 degrees. Usually 90 degrees by 8am, and holding strong at 100 degrees till midnight. Seriously.

Seems we're reaching all kinds of records this year, triple-digit 100+ degree heat for 38 straight days now. We're set to break the 1980 heat wave records over the next few weeks.
Days 100 degrees or higher in 2011: 44
Consecutive days 100 degrees or higher in 2011: 38

Days over 100 degrees in 1980: 69
Consecutive days over 100 in 1980: 42
The 5 day forecast this week looks a little something like this.


And the 10 day forecast...well, it's the same.


Brilliant.

Who in their right mind moves to Texas in July?!?

Apparently I do.

I am thankful for central air conditioning and ceiling fans at home. And the AC in my car. And at my office. And in every single store / restaurant / building in this great state that keeps me from melting.

In the midst of this record-setting Texas heat wave, I surely do not miss those NY sauna-style July-August subway rides. I don't miss the humidity that makes my hair a messy mess all summer. And I don't miss walking into a stuffy apartment with no air circulation.

But I might be dreaming of last January. With blizzards, biting cold, infinity scarves and puffy coats.


No comments:

Post a Comment