- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Re-learning how to live in the south

22 years as a Texan. 5 years as a New York-Texan.
Apparently 5 years away was enough to make this all seem a lil bit new.

Just a few things I've noticed in the 4.5 weeks since my return to Texas....

  • It's no longer charming to other people when I say "y'all". Imagine that? Guess it's no longer a talking point when everyone else says it too.

  • But! I forgot how much I love listening to southerns talk. Especially the boys. I find their southern twang quite appealing.

  • 8:30am is awfully early to be at work every day. And where is my iced coffee cart guy when I need him?!

  • Also, my always sunny disposition? Yeah, it's not so much a differentiator here. Everyone else here is cheery and happy and smiley. And they all speak to you in the elevators.

  • Other elevator etiquette? Ladies are always first entering the elevator, no exceptions. And ladies are always first leaving elevators, no exceptions. This is new.

  • I miss walking. Never thought I'd say that. In my new Texas life, I spend most of my day sitting. From car, to desk, back to car. Ugh.

  • With the lack of walking on a daily basis, I seem to be out of practice. Oops.

  • Speaking of cars. I'm not a very good driver. Or parker. I swear I used to be.

  • And I might have gotten in a fight with a gas pump last week. What am I doing here?!?

  • On the other hand, I smile every time I walk up to my car. It's so pretty. And I own that!

  • Singing along with the radio. This takes practice. And focus. Was I always so off-key? And I'm so used to my tunes blasting through headphones, I didn't realize how loud I like to listen to music.

  • Wearing heels! Oh I've missed them. But I'm not very used to wearing them for long periods of time. Good thing it's summertime and I can ease into this with wedges.

  • I would comment on the heat, just cause. But that would be too expected. And the extreme temperatures are off-set with constant AC. So that's a different argument for a different day.

  • The pace. It's slower. Not so "go, go, go" all the time. It's kind of tricky because I like the "go, go, go" and I hate to miss out and always like to be busy. But this new strangely normal-paced life? Yeah, I think I could get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment