- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Wednesday, February 2, 2011

This January

This January was the snowiest in the history of all January’s in New York. It started out as the snowiest I’ve experienced in my 5 New York winters. But it ended as the snowiest ever. Figures.

Here’s the thing about the snowiest of snowy January’s – ugh. Everyone in the city is dressed in the same uniform: puffy coats, hoods / hats, thickly wrapped scarves, gloves, umbrellas and snow / rain boots. It’s been literally impossible to wear much else. No one talks. They are too cold. Or annoyed by all the puffiness that makes it difficult to maneuver tight spaces such as subways.

If it wasn’t snowing, then melty slushy mess had accumulated at every intersection. If you weren’t wearing rain boots, good luck walking anywhere. Unless of course you’d like to get your leather boots all wet and yucky. Which I did several times this month. I underestimated the slushiness. Any day I didn’t wear my pink flowery Liberty of London rain boots, I instantly regretted the decision as I hit my first intersection.

As a result of this month, I have endless snowy pics on my iPhone. All different days. All different snow storms. They were weekly.






Last week, we got a record-setting 19 inches of snow on Wednesday. Thursday morning I woke up to gorgeous blue skies, massive heaps of powdery fresh snow on the streets and the office closed. The 2nd Snow Day of the year already. I had a lot of work to do and a presentation to give. Slightly annoying…but wait, what am I saying…SNOW DAY!

What exactly does one Texas transplant do on a Snow Day? Hmmm…tough one.

THIS! Naturally.



off to the park with Bethany and Susan


pink rain boots are more fun


we headed straight for the swings

where there maaaaay have been casualties

and snow angels!


1-2-3...GO!


bahaha...they are braver than me!

stuck

and she's up...

wait...nope!

snow up to the benches

and snow covering cars, that's a lotta snow


I think the happiness of this snowy day canceled out most of the dreary snowy sadness I had from the rest of the month.

Thanks for redeeming yourself January.

1 comment: