- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Thursday, February 19, 2009

Date This Guy?

I am an avid reader of all things New York-centric. Each week I read Time Out New York magazine cover to cover - I must add that I am not a TONY subscriber, it just magically appears on my desk every Wednesday courtesy of our sales reps. Regardless, I heart the snarky, slightly irreverent, often unusual and unexpected magazine that tells me all I "need to know" about NYC every week. I am always amused by the quirky spin they put on all things-about-town.

This week's TONY was the Single's Issue. That's right, a weekly magazine that is not only filled with page after page of New Yorky articles, but also one that attempts to offer advice on dating in this crazy city of ours. I appreciate their optimism and dedication to match-making. Hilarious.

So as I was browsing through the Single's Issue on my bus ride to work this week, I was intrigued by the feature article, "Dating Made Easy." Apparently TONY talked 139 single New Yorkers into participating in this year's Valentine's Day online dating hook-ups. Wait, let me be sure I understand - all I have to do is check out a few online profiles and TONY is going hook me up with a boyfriend? Bahahaha, yes, this is getting funnier. Nevertheless, I find myself logging on to TimeOutNewYork.com once I arrive at work - hey, I was curious! I mean, what kind of guys actually sign up for this? Well played TONY, well played.

Upon clicking through the "Men Seeking Women" section, I learn that 39 men have somehow been convinced to play along with this dating game. I immediately notice that there are a lot of artsy Brooklyn hipster freelancers in this mix...interesting. Then I click to bachelor number 36 - Oh this guy is cute! And vaguely familiar. Actually, he looks a lot Neil from So You Think You Can Dance. Wait, IS it Neil from SYTYCD?! I glance at his profile description that reads: "Neil, 21, Actor, Upper West Side" Hah! Neil, what are you doing with a dating profile on TONY? And why are you trying to convince unsuspecting New Yorkers that you are an actor? Do you think they won't recognize you from your Table Dance with Sabra? No? Just me? I mean, not like I went to see SYTYCD on tour or anything... (lies, I've been twice. No shame.)

Clearly Neil's PR people were all over this lil publicity stunt. But really, I'm a lil curious as to the types of emails he's received this week. I can only imagine the craziness that girls / guys are typing to him...

Hi Neil! Loved you on SYTYCD! You are ohsotalented! I especially enjoyed the Table Dance...you know, the one where you were horizontal on Sabra? Yeah, that was the best. Perhaps we can meet up for a drink (or 10) and then you can show me how it's done! Kisses!

Good try Neil. But you can't sneak past us. You will forever be a Dancer first. And hey, if you're single in New York and you're interested, be sure to shoot him an email. Please report back with details.

1 comment:

  1. So...I've decided that i really love you. Your blog is very funny. I was desperately trying to hold in my laughter as you spoke about Neil. You know my feelings on SYTYCD... Not to mention i am up at 12:35 AM enjoying the only peace and quiet I've found today.

    Keep writing and I will keep reading...;) Love you, Rob

    ReplyDelete