- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Tuesday, November 9, 2010

New York Marathoning


This is my friend and 3x NYC Marathoner, Michelle. That's right. A 3x runner! With 3 of these NYC medals!


After boozy brunching like a pro on Saturday morning, I asked her..."will you just wake up tomorrow and say, 'Hey, I think I'll run 26 miles today'?" This was the least she's ever trained for the Marathon and she was a lil worried she wouldn't do as well as last year. But coincidentally this was also her BEST time in 3 years at 4:34. Yeah, 4 & 1/2 straight hours of running. Just under an 11 minutes per mile. She's either crazy or kinda awesome. Maybe a lil bit of both. :)



I love the New York Marathon. You know this already of course, because I blogged about how much I loved it last year.

This year I watched for a few minutes on 1st Ave after brunching with Susan on the UES. And then we met friends in the park around mile 24. We had a good spot on the sidelines, at the top of a hill so we could see the runners headed our way. I sadly must have juuuust missed Michelle, but we did see Subway Jared!

I love standing in the park with masses of other cheering New Yorkers. Hearing about 4 different languages around me. Watching hundreds of people run past us. All with determination on their faces. All with the same goal in mind. It's really incredible. And I always cry. I just can't help it!



By the end of the day, we'd walked all the way across Manhattan. From 1st Ave, through the park where we watched the runners, to the finish line to find Michelle, and back to 9A with tired feet and wind blown cheeks. I mean, if we were this worn out after WATCHING the Marathon, I really can't imagine how all those runners must feel...

lj: See...it just looks like it hurts.
susan: HAHAHA! Can I quote you on that?

No comments:

Post a Comment