- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankfulness

I considered not going to Texas for Thanksgiving this year.

There were so many reasons not to. Plane tickets were ridiculously expensive. I was there in July for serious family time. And again in September for Julia & Seaver’s wedding. Work was busy. Everyone was going to be at my Aunt & Uncle’s house, not Mom & Dad’s. Bethany was staying in New York and always hosts a lovely ‘Friendsgiving.’ And roomie Lindsay Ann would be around to play. I mean, I can be just as thankful in New York as I would be in Texas. Right?

I was indecisive about booking the flight. Mom told me it would be ok if I didn’t come back this year. (“but you did get that promotion…” she reminds me as I’m complaining about the cost.) I know she’s just saying that to make me feel better. Like the decision is mine and she’s really fine with whatever I decide. But she doesn’t fool me. I know her too well.

In her last attempt to help me decide (read: see things her way) she says, “I just…I just think you will be sad when it’s Thanksgiving and you aren’t here with us.” I know, I know Mom. And then I booked the flight.

Now that it’s the week of Thanksgiving, you know what? I would be really sad if I weren’t here. Not that Thanksgiving with friends in New York wouldn’t be delightful. But it just wouldn’t be the same as here. The way it’s always been. With my whole family. And potato casserole. And pumpkin pie (even if I make it because I’m the only one who will eat it).

I think I love the holidays so much because I get to spend them with my parents, my sister & Keith, my brother & sister-in-law, niece, aunts, uncles and cousins. Because of the traditions we have and the things we all look forward to. It’s all kinda great. And living so far away, the holidays are a time when I can look forward to us all being together. And we’ll laugh and play dominoes, run around with the babies and watch football. It's a nice reminder of where I came from, how we're all growing up, how much has changed and the things that don't seem to change much at all.

I love the holidays. And I love my family. And I love Texas. I'm thankful that I'm able to be here with them this week. Thankful for all the holiday memories I have here and how happy it makes me to come back, let life slow down a bit and spend time with the people I love.

A little Texas Thanksgiving perspective. That's all.

Happy Happy Thanksgiving!


"It’s slow and it’s small and it’s life at a crawl. But it’s everything I miss.”
~The Things We Forget, Mark Willis


No comments:

Post a Comment