- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Luke's Mobile {a baby nursery project}

Oh just another project I forgot to blog. Whoops. I suppose I'm playing catch up. Also I was sick all weekend, so I had some time on my hands. Hah.

Over the summer, my sister was finishing up Baby Luke's nursery. She was in search of a mobile to hang above his crib made of branches to go with her owl theme. She found a super cute custom-made mobile, but couldn't find anywhere to buy it or anything like it. I couldn't either. Trust me, I looked.

After much consideration and much prompting from Les and mom, I decided to at least attempt to create something along the lines of the mobile she wanted. No promises that it would look anything like her inspiration, but I'd sure try!

So. I present the inspiration for this project:




Y'all. This was a hard project. Really. Maybe the hardest I've ever tackled. And this was the photo I had as a guide. So hard.

I present the mess of items we purchased {I won't even talk about how many different Garden Ridge locations we had to visit to get the right branches}.



I also won't tell you how long it took to piece the branches together in any kind of semi-curved shape. Held together with tape for reinforcement and wrapped in multi-colored yarn for cuteness.




And then we started adding things. Lots of draping and wrapping and threading. Ribbons and beads and buttons. And birds too. What's a branch without some birds?



After many hours and lots of patience and maybe at least one broken branch, here's some close ups of the finished product. I love the details. Everything came together really well. The only thing I wasn't happy with was the shape of the branches. But I suppose that's a small thing.



And here's the finished mobile in Baby Luke's nursery! Finished just in time for his arrival last August. I hope he likes it.






3 comments:

  1. OMG that is amazing!!!!!! I am so impressed! It looks magical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm he loves it. he is older now (6mths) and all is he does is stare at that thing. And if I dare make something move that is dangling, he is entranced!

    love you for doing this project! : )

    ReplyDelete