- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Monday, January 3, 2011

soooo much happiness

there was soooo much happiness before christmas this year. daddy's surprise birthday party. a visit to the ice show. oh. and this.


i'd been freaking out about this happening for a good 3 weeks since thanksgiving. completely. freaking. out.

y'all know my lil sis, leslee. see her sass? i'd like to think she gets that from me. and she keeps me on my sassiest toes when i'm at home. always.


and this boy with her? that's keith. y'all know him too. he's been hanging around for quite some time. i'm pretty sure i've known the kid for most of my life. he's just always been there. he's a really good guy. and he is my lil sister's forever.


december 23rd, 2010
he asked.
at our parents house. in the living room.
where they started. where he hung out when they were too young to drive. where he picked her up and dropped her off when they were 16. where they kissed goodnight. where they sometimes fought. and most importantly, where they fell in love.
and she was shocked. she looked at me with tears in her eyes, her hand in the air and a look that said, "what is happening right now?!?"
he was shaking. she was crying.
then she said yes.
and it was perfect.



my email exchange with keith earlier in the day...
lj: eeeeee! she's still not feeling well! no make-up or real clothes. want me to make her get dressed or something?!?
keith: i think this will make her feel better.

my small hints to les....
les: lauren will you repaint my nails for me?
lj: oh yes! let's do that right now!
les: nahhh, we can do it tomorrow...
lj: are you sure?!? i can do it now!

fail! she was sitting on the couch reading a magazine when he walked in the door. she's hard to surprise, that girl. but he did it. she was absolutely and completely shocked when he got down on one knee.

good thing she gets real pretty real quick. :)



when she stopped crying, all the texts had been sent, the phone calls made and the pictures taken, we went out for celebratory champagne. necessary! this didn't stop her from breaking down into tears anyway. happy tears of course. tears and smiles.


on christmas eve we had our annual game night. i lost my pictionary partner this year. it may not sound like much, but it's just the beginning of a lot of big changes for us.


i guess i knew i'd have to give her up eventually. i just didn't know how hard it would be. and i guess i thought i had more time. i always thought i'd live in texas when it happened. and we'd plan everything together and...well i guess don't really know what i thought. or maybe i was in denial. so in all honesty, i'm kind of an emotional mess. but maybe that was to be expected too. she is my lil sister after all. and even though i love keith lots and already feel like he's a part of my family, these are going to be some hard changes for me. i'm not sure i'm ready to give her up quite yet.

the rest of the week was filled with announcing their news to our family and friends. who all cried and cheered and congratulated them. it made me giggle to see her uncomfortable with all eyes on her. les has never been the shy kind. right, les?


the day before i left to come back to new york, her ring was at the jeweler getting tightened. sad faces for no more ring pictures.

ok. enough gushing. (for now) i am ohsoexcited for the future mr. and mrs. marcom! and can't wait to help her plan a texas wedding!

y'all! my lil sister is geeeeeettinggggg maaaaaarriiiiied!!!!


see? sooooooo much happiness.

:)

3 comments:

  1. Precious post, LJ! Made me tear up thinking about what in the world I'll do when RaeRae gets engaged. NOT ALLOWED!

    I'll be your Pictionary partner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me cry, LJ! Love you and love Les!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got chills! Yay Yay Yay!!! The photo of all 3 gals admiring that amazing rock is so priceless. My fave.

    ReplyDelete