- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Thursday, June 10, 2010

I guess this is when it gets real.

4 years.

I have officially lived in New York for 4 years today.

Wow.

People frequently ask "And how long have you lived in the city?" I typically respond with "Oh, about 3 years now I guess." Like it's nothing. Like 3 years is no big deal. But it's 4 years I've been here, not 3. And I'm a New Yorker now after all, time passes so quickly that it has no meaning.

But still. How could 4 years have possibly passed me by already?

I have now lived in New York for as long as I lived in Austin.

Wow.

I have now lived in New York for as long as I was in college. I have now lived in New York for as long as I was in High School.

Huh. How 'bout that?

4 years.

When I think about it, my life has run in 4 year increments for the past 12 years. 4 years in High School. Followed by 4 years at college in Austin. And now, 4 years of big girl life in New York.

Each 4 year period has had it's happinesses and it's struggles. Each period was incredibly memorable, incredibly influential, and mostly incredibly responsible for shaping me into this woman I am today.

I loved High School, but I was a lil naive. And I loved College, but was so desperately looking towards the future, I regret having taken it, and the glorious lack of responsibility, for granted. And I love New York, but we still fight.

I guess my, "I'm moving to New York!" "I can do anything for a year!" phase is officially over. Because somehow, after these 4 years, New York is my home. My friends are here. My job is here. My church is here. My life is here.

Like I said, sometimes me and New York fight. It's true, no one can deny that NY is a tough place to live. It's not for everyone. Sometimes, especially in the midst of a fight, I wonder if it's even right for me.

But then I remember how much fun life is here, the convenience of walking everywhere, how I live at what feels like the center of the universe. And then I wonder why I'd ever leave at all.

Regardless of the fights and the number of times I decide I've had it and "I'm done here," the city always finds a way to make up with me. Usually with something fabulous. Like gorgeous weather. Or surprisingly delightful weekends. I guess our relationship is getting serious. Because here I am. More settled than ever in this New York life of mine.

4 years. Gone. 4 incredible years of NYC. 4 years of struggles, 4 years of independence, 4 years of hope, 4 years of possibilities. 4 unforgettable years of growing up. 4 years of my life in a place I never thought I'd call home.

Cheers to whatever the next 4 years may bring!

1 comment:

  1. "And then I wonder why I'd ever leave at all."

    ... I'm going to store that away and save it for a rainy/I miss TX sort of day. :)

    Happy 4th Anniversary, LJ!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete