- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Monday, June 7, 2010

These Girls

These girls were my roommates.
And my friends. And my sanity. And my refuge. And my confidants.

These girls were so much more to me than just roommates. --


We shared clothes. We shared bags. We shared jewelry. We shared birthdays. We shared stories. We shared secrets. We shared recipes (healthy ones!). We shared make-up. We shared heartbreaks. We shared TV shows and movie nights. We shared motivations. We shared inside jokes. We shared cabs. Always. We shared a small bathroom. We shared opinions. We shared football games. We shared the karaoke microphone. We shared struggles. We shared beds...because sometimes it's necessary. We shared a million different memories. We shared our lives.

And now that we don't all live together, many of the things that we share are the same, but it's the way we share them that's changed.

Julia is getting married this fall. She's got a new mid-town roommate in the form of her fantastic fiance, Seaver.

Caroline found herself a big girl one-bedroom UES apartment. It's all hers. And there are so many window sills for Standford the cat to enjoy.

These girls are no longer the ones I catch up with at the end of a long day as we're eating dinner. They are not the ones who give their opinions on my outfits before heading out. They are no longer the girls I spend loungy lazy weekends at home with. They are not the ones that dance around the apartment with me as we're getting ready on Saturday nights.

Without these things that we've shared for so long, I admittedly feel slightly lost. Uncomfortably unconnected from them. It's the end of an era. A good era. An era when we all learned so much about ourselves, about each other, about being big kids...even when we didn't want to be.

These girls are more to me than just roommates. These girls are now 2 of my very best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment