- each embraces New York with the intense excitement of first love, with the fresh yes of an adventurer -


Sunday, June 26, 2011

Reflections on Five Years

Dear New York,

It's been 5 years since I arrived here from Texas. Fresh off the highs of college graduation and ambition. Almost 22 years old, so excited for a new urban life, bright-eyed, determined and just slightly terrified. It didn't take me long to get used to your hot summer days, public transportation, crowds, horribly inconsistent weekend subway schedules and surprisingly comforting street noises.

I've spent 5 crisp New York falls watching Texas football games at bars cheering alongside too many other burnt-orange-clad Longhorns to count. I've managed to get through 5 of the coldest winters of my life without significant depression, with several snowy adventures and ice skating under the stars. Spent 5 holiday seasons mesmerized by the magic that floats through the streets at Christmastime. Then watched these 5 seemingly unending winters finally fade to springtime, bringing warm sunshine, brightly colored flowers and a renewed spirit to the city.

I've explored every borough. Fell in love with the charm of the West Village. Spent the night in Rock Center in hopes of scoring tickets to SNL. Watched summer movies in Central Park. Seen more Broadway shows than I can count. I even served Jury Duty. I've visited Philly, the Hudson River Valley, Atlantic City, the Jersey Shore, Long Island beaches, the Hamptons, Cape Cod and Washington DC.

I'm so very in love with you, with my life here. With all my amazing friends that truly make this place my home.

After 5 years of our relationship, it is very difficult for me to break this news to you New York. And it's with a very heavy heart that I tell you I am leaving. I know, you probably didn't see it coming. I was surprised too. But you knew the time would come when the South would call me back. And it's time.

So I guess, all this to say...After 5 years of New York City life, I'm going back to Texas.

I still love you New York. But my heart has always been in Texas. You can bet I'll be back to visit often. After all, you're not going anywhere.

xoxo,
lauren

3 comments:

  1. oh honey... this makes my heart happy... although I know it is bittersweet for you! Your return to the south has been a long time coming... can't wait for the permanent family reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 27, 2011

    five years? BIG DEAL

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 27, 2011

    I've been reading your blog for some time now but I have never commented.
    I have loved hearing about your adventures in the city! All of the restaurants and bars you have visted & all of the amazing things you have done during your time there.
    Although I live in Australia I have ALWAYS wanted to travel to NY. Reading you blog and hearing your stories about the city made me determined to visit.
    I was fortunate to finally visit NY in May of this year and become even more obsessed :)
    I will miss hearing you talk of NY but I will continue to read (obviously!).
    Thank you!
    Kerby Reimer

    ReplyDelete